Acquired Monday night for a player to be named -- which might or might not be infielder Tony Abreu -- [Jon] Garland and fellow arrival Vicente Padilla give the Dodgers six starters (Randy Wolf, Chad Billingsley, Clayton Kershaw and Hiroki Kuroda the others, with Kuroda returning Sunday from a concussion).
What? What does Jon Garland give us (besides a win tonight, splitting this series against the Diamondbacks)?
- a) an extra unexpected win against a sub-.500 team 19 games back
- b) insurance in case Kuroda can't return
- c) insurance against the headcase that is Vicente Padilla
- d) another guy with slight facial hair, to make Casey Blake comfortable
- e) syphilis and/or gonorrhea
- f) none of the above; try ___________________________
- g) all of the above
SoSG readers, I leave it to you.