Hope all puzzlers had a great weekend. Here's today's puzzle, straight from the mind and words of PCS Season II runner-up Josh:
To solve this puzzle, you will need to use the clues to find the following 22 word pairs. The first word in each pair will be three (Pairs 1-4), four (Pairs 5-14), or five letters (Pairs 15-22) long. The second word in each pair can be formed by adding a pair of letters to the first word. (For example: RED, RAZED) When you have all 22 word pairs solved (plus the freebie to get a total of 23), you will use those added letter pairs from the second word of each pair to uncover a secret clue. The answer to that secret clue is a former Dodger.
Note: You get one freebie in the secret clue because I wrote myself into a corner on one of the word pairs.
Good luck! I will post hints in the comments as I see fit.
- Madden’s choice of travel / An unexpected addition
- Humbug predecessor / Cookie grouping
- Simple bed / Sesame’s vampire
- Signal to start / Offensive word
- Child’s pillow construction / Tidwell’s service
- 5-time Wimbledon champ / Drill’s task
- Engine’s energy drink / Potentially hazardous cloud
- Beast of burden / Your heart is one
- Expires / Current instabilities
- Mayweather’s workplace / Fired up
- To smudge / Where chads hang
- 63,360 inches / Comparative figure of speech
- Interjection for Yorick / Eucalyptus eaters
- Famous Christian / To perplex
- Hefty Giant’s nickname / Top grosser’s setting
- Butcher’s tubmate / More depressing
- Furious / Thankless one
- Person of authority / Effective handler
- Jobs’ job / Contest for superiority
- Casual affair / What Cronin can’t fight
- Zero / Beer on tap
- “Community” Spanish teacher / Runner’s irritation
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ RW __ __ __ __ __ __
Puzzle Rules: The answer to the puzzle is a former Dodger. Watch the comment thread for possible hints from Josh S. Comment freely in the thread, but if you have the solution, please don't give it away to everyone in the comments section. Instead, do the following:
- Email us with the first and last name of the Dodger player who is the answer, along with your reasoning (answers arrived at via luck or the wrong reasoning, even if correct, count for participation credit only). And please include your screen name somewhere in the email; and
- Post a comment simply saying you have emailed your solution attempt. I may not be able to reply to your original email promptly, so please be patient and check back on the comment thread for the latest news; I may confirm correct answers there.
You have until midnight PT tonight to submit your answer. Solution will be posted tomorrow. Good luck!
*New to SoSG's PCS Puzzle Series? Here's how it works. Join the fun, all are welcome!