- It's my pitching, Johnny! Do you think I need another starter?
- How should I know?
Tommy hands Johnny some money.
- The rigors of a full season on a four-man rotation are just too demanding. You need a left-handed swingman to fill your long relief spot. Give him an occasional start and he'll round out your staff nicely.
- You're talking about a guy like Gossage, aren't you, Johnny?
- Ah, come on, Tommy, use your head! Gossage is right-handed. Besides, he can't throw more than two innings.
Johnny hands Tommy a folded piece of paper.
- Here's the names of five southpaws with career ERAs under 2.93. And you wouldn't have been in this mess if you hadn't given up Tommy John.
Chastened, Tommy puts his head in his hand.