Welcome to Season III's first Grand Slam Puzzle! We once again return to the continuing saga of the Cub. For those who missed the first three chapters from PCS Season II, here's a referesher:
Chapter 1: The Bear, the Bear, and the Owl and Solution.
Chapter 2: The Cub Revisited and Solution.
Chapter 3: Norway or Bust! and Solution.
So, Chapter 4 picks up with The Cub and Jasmine on their journey towards Norway...
And in case any of you are facing Youtube work blockage, here's an alt version from yahoo video (it's the exact same video...this is not part of the puzzle). This might be blocked too, but hopefully this may help a few:
Hint #1 (8:45am PT): Be sure to watch the video through to the end...and watch the skies closely.
Hint #2 (10:00am PT): The song is not part of the puzzle, though I thought it fit in nicely.
Hint #3 (10:00am PT): The conversation among the characters is critical and in some cases should be taken literally.
Hint #4 & #5 (11:08am PT): Jasmine in particular speaks literally. And note that in Hint #3 I used the word 'among' instead of 'between.'
Hint #6 (11:42am PT): Jasmine's 5th through 8th conversation bubbles are particularly important (and literal).
Hint #7 (12:48pm PT): The appearance and/or pattern of the stars in the sky is irrelevant. The appearance of other things in the sky is not.
Hint #8 (12:53pm PT): For those who haven't already, I'd jot down the conversation. Many of the bubbles are important in terms of their mechanical content, while Jasmine's 5th thru 8th bubbles (and to some extent her 4th) are important in terms of understanding how said mechanical content is important.
Hint #9 (1:55pm PT): Here are general steps to solving the puzzle. You will note Jasmine is very helpful if cryptic:
- Figure out what the paths are. Jasmine literally provides clues in her 5th and 6th bubbles to figure this out.
- Pick the correct ones (Jasmine tells you where this info comes from in her 8th bubble (Hint #10 is in reference to this step too)).
- Figure out what to with the correct ones (listen to Jasmine's 7th bubble).
- Arrange the results.
- Submit answer.
Hint #10 (3:31pm PT): The Bear's every word - in fact every bit of every word - is important (yes, the Bear takes part in the conversation, if you haven't discovered that yet). Another hint coming in 30ish mins...
Hint #11 (3:44pm PT): If you transcribe the full conversation among the three characters, you won't need anything else (i.e., you can stop watching the surely-by-now-maddeningly-annoying-video). And you can ignore punctuation and capitalization.
Just for reference, I'll post the latest PCS Standings as well:
(600 possible points)
Others receiving votes: matt 230, nicholas 224, josh s 223, llcooll 220, mlasf 220, dusty baker 220, dunkhawk 189, steve dittmore 184, curious gene 170, dusto magnifico 140, loney fan 123, lauro 123, berkowit28 120, wicks 104, jose 100, the trite fantastic 100, bryan 100, bwrightson 91, rbnlaw 80, midnight drive 60, neeebs 55, danielle 50, erin 30, karina 20, fred's brim 10.
Puzzle Rules: The answer to the puzzle is one of four Norwegian cities: Bergen, Trondheim, Stavanger, or Oslo. Comment freely in the thread, but if you have the solution, please don't give it away to everyone in the comments section. Instead, do the following:
- Email us with the name of the city, along with your reasoning (answers arrived at via luck or the wrong reasoning, even if correct, count for participation credit only). And please include your screen name somewhere in the email; and
- Post a comment simply saying you have emailed your solution attempt. I may not be able to reply to your original email promptly, so please be patient and check back on the comment thread for the latest news; I may confirm correct answers there.
- And remember, as a Grand Slam Puzzle this one's worth 120 points!.
You have until midnight PT tonight to submit your answer. Solution will be posted tomorrow. Good luck!
*New to SoSG's PCS Puzzle Series? Here's how it works. Join the fun, all are welcome!