Word to the wise: bring a jacket. Because it's off to Norway we go!
The first part of yesterday's puzzle is to find the correct path:
- As per the Cub's first question in Puzzle #6, his true love is Jasmine. Thus, he must avoid Matilda, Eve, and Grace.
- As per the Cub's second question, he can move only at night, so he must reach her by 6am. At 30 minutes per move, this gives him 16 moves.
- As per the Cub's third question, his first move must be to the south.
- Assuming the Cub moves south with his first move, his next four moves are entirely determined by where he does not cross paths with a tree, an eagle, a vulture, or a spurned love. In each case, he has only one possible move.
- With his sixth move - at 12:30pm - he has an option of going either East or South. If he goes South, he will not be able to reach Jasmine in time. Therefore, East is his only move.
- All his subsequent moves are determined not by avoiding enemies, but by beating the clock to Jasmine.
- Here's the path in its entirety:
Once that's done, you must next figure out the words the forest speaks, as follows:
- The first 4 utterances are the 4 letters on which the Cub sits at the indicated times: midnight (M), 2am (K), 4am (4), and 6am (5).
- Using the green="0" and pink="1" convention indicated by the clock color scheme, the last 2 utterances correspond to the ascii translations of the 8-digit binary strings that correspond to the Cub's first 8 squares (01101010 = J) and his second 8 squares (01110010 = R). This device was used in last year´s grand finale puzzle.
- Put the 6 utterances together and tack 'em to the end of SoSG's tinyurl.com favorite, and you have tinyurl.com/MK45JR, which brings up the Norway wikipedia page.
"Gratulerer" to UBragg, QuadSevens, BWrightson, Josh S, Drewdez, Fanerman, J Steve, Mr Customer, and Erin. Next Puzzle Thursday, July 23, 7am...the first from SoSG Orel! Also, updated rankings to be posted soon, and of course prizes awarded as well!