- Jason Schmidt: 5.0 IP, 1 ER. Decent but not spectacular. Our starting pitchers need to last longer or the middle relievers are going to get battered like tempura.
- Juan Pierre: 2 for 4. Luis Gonzalez: 2 for 3. But how many runs will their arms let in?
- Matt Kemp: His first hit and RBI. He's been tagging the ball but hitting it right at guys. This will change.
- Olmedo Saenz: Truly a "professional hitter" if there ever was one.
- Joe Beimel, Jonathan Broxton: Great stuff. Let's not overwork these guys.
- Rudy Seanez: Ugh. Not that keeping Elmer Dessens would have been any better, obviously.
- Takashi Saito: With tomorrow off, Grady Little felt comfortable working him two innings. Unfortunately, Saito inherited a bases-loaded situation. Is this any way to treat your closer?
From Tony Jackson at the Daily News:
...the trio of Russell Martin, Nomar and Jeff Kent just went down on three pitches in the top of the fifth. THREE PITCHES. And they wonder why they have only scored six runs in their first 23 innings this season. Nice approach to hitting.