Somewhere in the New Year's Day Bowls Thread, I mentioned that we Sons had something in store for the BCS Championship Game on Monday, January 10. So we're going to take this final pause in the 2010-2011 bowl schedule to explain our first contest of 2011. And all of you SoSG readers are welcome to play!
First, the loot: a 2011 Dodgers Day Planner Calendar Book that was sent to season ticket holders for Christmas. Leather-bound and foil stamped, this book not only provides a daily diary for 2011, but also has full-color and black-and-white pictures commemorating the Dodgers' 2010 highlights as well as the players with retired numbers. It also has the 2011 schedule and promotional schedule in the back, among other things. You can check it out on ebay, or also look at these fine pictures:
So, the rules:
- Sometime on Sunday, January 9, we will post a thread called "BCS Championship Game Entry Thread". You must comment with one positive whole number (no fractions or imaginary numbers, dudes), representing the total number of points you think will be scored by both teams in the 2011 BCS Championship Game (between Oregon and Auburn on Monday January 10, at 5.30p).
- The first person to claim a number gets sole possession of that number. Additional claims of that number will be invalidated (and, depending on if I can monitor progress during the day, will be signalled).
- Only one number can be claimed per person. Additional numbers attempted to be claimed will disqualify the person (unless it's one of those instantaneous-posting things; see the comments for "the Neeebs rule").
- All numbers must be claimed by kickoff, which we will call Monday January 10 at 5:30p PT.
- The winner will be the person whose number is closest to the total without going over (i.e., The Price Is Right rules).
- Winner gets the book. We'll pay for shipping to a US mailing address.
- All decisions of the Sons are final. If there's any gaming of the system or any other loophole-exploiting chicanery, we reserve the right to cancel the contest and either try another contest or keep the Dodgers diary for ourselves. Please be cool.
Good luck, and be ready on Sunday January 9!