Mrs. Orel checks in with her observations from our LSU adventure:
HOW D'Y'ALL KNOW?
Here are some clues that you're at a state university baseball game in the American south:
- French fries are covered in goopy cheese
- The seats come in one of two colors: purple or yellow
- The grass is as emerald as an Irish hillside
"I talked t' Jerry."
"I jest asked him, was he born agin."
"He said he don' know."
"If he don' know, he ain't."
- Little girls are bowheads, with ribbons in school colors
- Little boys wear crocs in school colors
- If they held a Wilford Brimley look-alike contest, he'd lose for sheer force of the competition
"Those Hollywood acters, they can't jest make a movie and be entertainin'. They all gotta have some cause."
"That Woody Harrelson went to them Oscars in a suit made a marijuana!"
"I gotta get me one a them. Ya jest light a sleeve an inhale."
- The burgers are bigger than a catcher's mitt
- They spell go: "geaux"
- Have I mentioned? The crowd wears one of two colors: purple or yellow
"Bernice saw that Sandra Bullock movie about that good Christian family."
"She said it got her rethinkin' her whole spiritual life."
- When a player is exceptional, his coach gives him a chest bump
- The crowd comes in one of two colors: white or sunburnt
- At game's end, the teams shake each other's hands
Because thass right.