Monday, March 29, 2010

Mientkiewicz Wishes to be a Free-Man

Mr. M has described his current situation with the Dodgers Brass thusly:

So I'm not bitter or pouting, but I feel like the Shawshank Redemption. Let me go. No place I'd rather be than with the Los Angeles Dodgers. But I'm not one of the 25. I'm OK with that. I get it. Then, why hold onto me?

In other words...

I've always had a soft spot for the man whose name we dare not spell. Great defensive first baseman. Tried to hold on to the curse-lifting Red Sox ball to cover his "retirement fund." (cause baseball players need the cash). Had his worst hitting season with the Mets, as all veterans do. And I think he's friends or something with my brother-in-law's sister-in-law. So wherever he lands, I wish him all the best.

And "Remember, (former) Red (Sock), hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that this letter finds you, and finds you well. Your friend. (Delino)"

1 comments:

Dusty Baker said...

Per Yahoo! News:

"Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:54 am EDT
Dodgers won't release Mientkiewicz

By Mark J. Miller

Doug MientkiewiczWhen Eric Gagne(notes) and Angel Berroa(notes) asked, the Los Angeles Dodgers released them, but they apparently aren't going to do the same for Doug Mientkiewicz(notes), according to MLB.com.

The team has supposedly told the 35-year-old first baseman that he won't be on the Opening Day roster, but the team is apparently hanging onto him for as long as possible in case Garret Anderson(notes) gets hurt. Manager Joe Torre supposedly went so far as to ask Mientkiewicz if he wanted to stay on as a coach, but he apparently still wants to play.

The team can only do this until Friday afternoon, when he can opt out of the contract. "