Ned Colletti, the Tinted Cello, was indeed finding pairs of words that anagram to players' names (as many of you figured out).
First, the words.
Page 1, clockwse from upper left: REINDEER, CHECKS, APRON, MOTORCARS, CURL.
Page 2, clockwise from top center: NOON, HAT, TESTIS, ANATOMY, JOKES.
Then, the pairings:
- REINDEER + HAT = ANDRE ETHIER
- APRON + JOKES = JASON REPKO
- CURL + TESTIS = ERIC STULTS
- MOTORCARS + NOON = RAMON TRONCOSO
- CHECKS + ANATOMY = CASEY KOTCHMAN
Ned finds four pairs of words which form Dodgers, so he doesn't want Kotchman (and apparently, neither did the Angels).
Some other notes:
- Testis was a tough one given the alternate (non-plural) spelling, but that picture was just too much fun to exclude;
- Casey Kotchman also anagrams to YACHTSMAN COKE;
- Neither Frank McCourt nor Jamie McCourt anagram cleanly to two words. However, Drew McCourt anagrams to RECTUM CROWD. Imagine that! (Boy, that would have been a fun image to find.)
Congrats to jose for his first-place finish, and to quadsevens, erin, and steve for their solves as well (or should I say, congrats to joe s., even squad, rein, and see tv). Fanerman (aka nan-frame) also snuck in right under the wire at 11:50 pm PT, as the fifth and final to solve. Thanks also to the internet anagram server for its help with this puzzle's construction.
PCS rankings due shortly...next off-day is in two weeks (August 18), so sharpen your pencils!