Amazingly, it did indeed come out today (only one day delayed). And yes, it costs $14.99, a 50% increase over prior year. But here are the highlights (at least for the iPhone version):
Listen LIVE to every regular season and postseason game
And new for 2010:
- Spring training statistics, LIVE audio and LIVE video (mid-March)
- Breaking league and team news
- Schedules, rosters, and player stats for every team
- Video library searchable by player and team
- Enhanced LIVE game video (regular season)
- Home/away broadcast feed selection (regular season)
- Background audio playback
- Additional enhancements to come during the 2010 season
From the three screenshots, the interface looks largely the same, save the top-level scoreboard which now puts little red dots on bases to indicate men on. All the other screens look largely similar to what we've seen prior.
And I'm not sure if all of that "new for 2010" stuff is in fact new. We already had home/away broadcast feed selection--unless this means video selection, which would be cool. I am concerned that "Background audio playback" means "elevator music from Nancy Bea" (come to think of it, that wouldn't be too bad as an extra feature!), rather than the radio broadcast, but I suppose we'll see. And "Additional enhancements to come" says to me that they don't yet have their shit together, and they're just throwing something out there to be updated later.
Fine, I'm still plunking down the $15. Let's hope the enhanced live game video is truly enhanced this year, so I can justify the price hike.
UPDATE 11:50a: Reviews are saying that the audio doesn't work properly yet...