This may be SoSG's most flexible post to date. As you will soon see, not only are there multiple uses for it, but there are two categories of uses:
Use Category 1: Master Post for College FB Games. There are a number of big games featuring top-10 opponents:
- #3 TCU vs New Mexico - I guess I'll root for TCU just to create more controversy over the BCS system.
- #5 LSU vs Arkansas - Go Razorbacks! I'm actually indifferent towards both teams, but for DB's and P Ditty's sake, I'll root for Arkansas (plus, see next bullet)
- Oregon State vs #6 Stanford - Go Stanford! It would be sweet to have two Pac-10 teams end up in the top 5, especially after last year's conference meltdown (and this year's predicted sad showing in hoops).
- Northwestern vs #7 Wisconsin - Go Northwestern! I like purple and am trying to avoid cheese.
- Michigan vs #8 Ohio St - I guess I'll root for Michigan. It wouldn't mind seeing an upset featuring the Yankees of college football as victim.
- #13 Oklahoma vs #9 Oklahoma St - If every there were two top-15 teams heading into an arch-rivalry game that I truly didn't care about, this is it.
- #10 Michigan St vs Penn St - Go Spartans! Why? Because 10 years ago I won an NCAA hoops pool thanks to Michigan State's victory. Or was it Orel that won? I can't remember. But I hate Penn St. Ok, that's the real reason.
Use Category 2: Postmaster General Discussion. As we all know, on December 3, Patrick R Donahoe will be taking over as Postmaster General after 9 years of John E Potter. No doubt the postal service is facing major challenges - it recently reported losses of $8.5 billion over the last fiscal year, despite cost reductions of $9 billion over the past 2 years. And volume of mail delivered dropped to 170.6 billion from 176.7 billion the previous year (no word on how volume of mail sent matched up with these numbers). But Donahoe, educated at Pittsburgh and MIT, and COO of the Postal Service the past 5 years, is ready for the challenges. "The Postal Service is my bitch," I imagine him saying in lieu of any actual quotes I could find. "I hope she's ready, cuz I'm headin' in!"
Good luck Patrick. And C'mon everyone else...do your part and mail stuff!!*
So there are your two use categories. Enjoy the freedom and enjoy the rest of the long weekend.
*"C'mon everyone - mail stuff!!" - that's my proposal for the Postal Service's new slogan. Please support me in this cause. Donahoe, are you listening??
Photo of Kellen Moore from AP/Cathleen Allison